Animated GIFs are not working in WordPress for several reasons, such as compatibility issues with WordPress themes and plugins, incorrect image file format, server configuration issues, or conflicts with caching plugins.
The use of animated GIFs in WordPress posts and pages can be an effective way to add visual interest and comedy to the content. These GIFs can convey emotions and ideas that would otherwise be difficult to get through words.
However, there is a problem with animated GIFs that do not work in WordPress. In this article, we will talk about how to resolve this issue.
It is essential to properly troubleshoot the issue and identify the root cause in order to resolve the problem and ensure that the animated GIFs display correctly on the website.
Why Is An Animated GIF Not Working In WordPress?
There are some reasons why an animated GIF is not working in WordPress, and the reasons are the following:
The image file is not an animated GIF file. Check the file extension to make sure that it is a .gif file.
The file size of the animated GIF is too large because it does not load correctly. Try compressing the GIF file using an online tool like EZGIF or GIPHY before uploading it to WordPress.
Plugin or Theme Conflict
A plugin or theme is causing a clash with the animated GIF, stopping it from working properly. Try disabling plugins one by one to see if they are causing the issue. You also switch to a different theme to see if the problem continues.
Clear your browser cache and reload the page to see.
A server-side issue is stopping the animated GIF from loading properly. Contact your hosting provider to see if there are any issues with the server.
What Are The Reasons Why Animated GIFs Do Not Work In WordPress?
Large File Size
Animated GIFs are usually larger in file size than regular images, which slows down your website’s loading time. It results in a poor user experience, as visitors get irritated waiting for the page to load.
Some WordPress themes or plugins do not support animated GIFs, causing them not to display correctly. It is due to the way the theme or plugin handles image files or due to clashes with other codes on the website.
It has a negative impact on website performance, as they require more processing power than regular images. It is causing your website to run slower, especially on mobile devices.
It is a problem for users with certain disabilities, such as visual impairments. It makes your website unreachable to these users, which is not a good user experience.
WordPress for search engines negatively impacts your website’s rankings. It is because search engines typically favor fast-loading pages, and animated GIFs slow down page load times. Moreover, they have not altered text or other metadata that search engines use to understand the content of an image.
Are There Some Steps that You Take to Resolve the Issue?
- Make sure that the file you uploaded is an animated GIF. Images can be mistakenly saved with the .gif file extension, even though they are not animated.
- If the file is too large, it takes too long to load, causing the animation to appear or not load. Try compressing the file using an online tool like EZGIF or GIPHY before uploading it to WordPress.
- Sometimes, browser caches prevent animated GIFs from loading correctly.
- Clearing your cache and refreshing the page helps resolve this issue. Some themes and plugins clash with animated GIFs, causing them not to work correctly.
- Try temporarily disabling your plugins or switching to a different theme to see if that resolves the issue.
- It could be a server issue if none of the above steps work.
- Contact your hosting provider to see if there are any server-side issues that are preventing the GIF from loading properly.
Why Do We Use GIFs in WordPress?
Animated GIFs can capture a user’s attention and make a website more visually appealing. They can help to break up long blocks of text and add movement to an otherwise static page.
- To showcase products or services: Animated GIFs can showcase products or services in action, providing a more dynamic way to show off their features and benefits.
- To create tutorials or how-to guides: Animated GIFs can create step-by-step tutorials or how-to guides that are easy to follow and understand. It can illustrate complex concepts or demonstrate a process simply and engagingly.
- To add humor or personality: Animated GIFs can add humor or personality to a website or blog post, making it more relatable and engaging for readers.
How to Embed an Animation in WordPress?
- Find an animation that you want to use. Also, find pre-made animations on websites such as Giphy or Tenor.
- Save the animation as a GIF file. Use other formats such as MP4 or WebM, but GIF is the most widely supported format for animations on the web.
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and create a new post or page where you want to embed the animation.
- Click on the Add Media button above the editor.
- Drag and drop the GIF file into the media uploaded, or click on the Select Files button and choose the file from your computer.
- Once the file has finished uploading, click on it to select it.
- In the Attachment Details section on the right, you set the animation’s title, caption, alt text, and description.
- In the Embed or Link To section, choose Embed Media Player. It will allow you to embed the animation directly on your post or page.
- Click the Insert into Post or Insert into Page button to add the animation to your content.
- Save or publish your post or page to see the animation embedded in your WordPress site.
- Will an animated GIF slow down my website?
Animated GIFs slow down your website, especially if they are large or there are several of them on the page. It’s important to optimize your GIFs by compressing them to reduce their file size and only to use them when necessary.
- Are we setting an animated GIF as the featured image on a post or page?
We set an animated GIF as the featured image on a post or page in WordPress. Upload the GIF as you would any other image, and then click the “Set featured image” button on the post or page editor screen.
- Are we adding text or other elements to an animated GIF in WordPress?
We add text or other elements to an animated GIF in WordPress using an image editing tool such as Adobe Photoshop or GIMP. Once you’ve added the desired features, save the edited GIF and upload it to your WordPress site like any other image.
All in all, using animated GIFs within WordPress improves the user experience and creates a more captivating and memorable website. Nevertheless, it is essential to use them in moderation and sparingly, as excessive use of animated elements leads to a website that needs to be more balanced and overpowering.
For more details also read this article: Third Time Lucky How I Conquered WordPress: Achieving The Impossible